Turning 18 – Aging Out of Foster Care

There is a lot to do before you turn 18 if you are in foster care. You will need to make sure that you have your birth certificate and social security card, along with proof of identification and citizenship or residency status. You will also need to look for housing.  Once you find housing, you are responsible for your rent and other living expenses, such as food and clothing. If you are ready to look for a place to live on your own but aren’t sure where to start, there are programs that can help you in all stages of the process.  Health Insurance is another thing you will want to get before you turn 18.  In Wisconsin, all young adults ages 18 through 20 who are leaving foster care and turning 18 on or after January 1, 2008 are eligible for BadgerCare Plus health insurance. BadgerCare Plus is free health insurance, take advantage of it by enrolling as soon as possible.